Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sweet Abilene


Every time I visit Abilene, I get that same feeling that you get when you go home. You know, that feeling that you are taking a break from the world and going to visit somewhere safe, where everyone really knows who you are and what you stand for, and the people there truly care about you? Well, thats how I feel about going to Abilene. Over the past few years, it has become my home away from home away from home (since I have 2 homes now, Kaufman and Houston). You don't really realize how great Abilene is and how rare being around friends who stand for the same things that you do is until you leave. Then you get it. Then you come back to it for a visit, and it is simply blissful.

This weekend was filled with great friends, great food, and, of course, Sing Song. You have to love that time of year when seeing someone at any given place in Abilene with red dots on their cheeks and long, painted on eyelashes is pretty normal.

We arrived in Abilene about 10:00 on Friday night. Fortunately, we still got to see lots of friends on Friday night.



Saturday morning Belinda, Caroline and I decided upon Whataburger for breakfast...always a staple. Shortly after that, Belinda, Clay, Ryan and I met Courtney and Dustin at Harold's! Still full from our Whataburger excursion, and knowing that I would be eating dinner at 4:30, I only had peach cobbler. But it was life changing peach cobbler. And it just happened to be one of those lucky Saturdays when Harold decided to sing. He told us that he had just had stints put in his heart, so he had a much harder time singing than he used to. He could have fooled me though. He began with "How Great Thou Art."

Now let me tell you something about Harold, the man can SING! I mean, its the kind of thing that gives me goosebumps. He just stood in the middle of his barbeque restaurant where people were lined up from the counter all the way out the back door and wrapping around the building and sang. After a few versus, he asked the whole restaurant to join in and led us all in singing "How Great Thou Art." Of course, everyone knew all of the words. These are the reasons that I love Abilene. Seriously, where else in the world does that happen. After one song, he moved into the next. He got everyone clapping their hands and began a soulful version of "Amen." It was awesome.


And in keeping in tradition, Kara and I got a Sing Song picture together. This is the first time in 3 years that we were not both in costume!

Sing Song 2010

Sing Song 2009

Sing Song 2008

After Sing Song, we all got to hang out again! It was great. I was reminded (not that I forgot, really) how lucky I am to have the friends that I have.



Love this one! It also makes me think of Sing Songs Past...




2009


2008


2006. Hilarious.

Love you all! It was a fantastic weekend!!

1 comment:

Cheryl Johnson said...

I loved the pictures...old and new!